DCF EMPLOYEES CELEBRATE BLACK HISTORY MONTH ACROSS THE STATE
~ Statewide kickoff event to be held in Tallahassee on Feb. 17 ~
TALLAHASSEE, FLA. – Today marks the first day of Black History Month, a time we can all come together to remember and celebrate the many ways African-Americans have improved our state and our country.
Across the state, DCF employees, along with our many community partners, are commemorating this month with exciting and inspiring activities.
In addition, we will be presenting "29 Days of Amazing African-American Children: Explore Adoption!" This initiative is featuring an African-American child, teenager or sibling group available for adoption every day in February. These amazing African-American children and teenagers will be featured on the Explore Adoption website www.AdoptFlorida.org.
We will highlight an African-America child, teen or sibling group with videos, photos and biographies. Each of these amazing children is currently available for adoption. We will also showcase some of our wonderful African-American foster and adoptive families.
Please join us in reflecting on all the great achievements of African-Americans during this month and help us find forever families for these special children.
- Tallahassee: Feb. 17, 10:30 a.m. "Strengthening Families and Communities, One Family at a Time" with keynote speaker Ken Bevel, an actor and film producer who was recently seen in the movie "Courageous." Florida State University Student Services Building, 874 Traditions Way, Room 203.
- Largo: Feb. 17, 11:30 a.m. 11351 Ulmerton Road.
- Sarasota: Feb. 21, 11:30 a.m. 1864 17th Street.
- Fort Myers: Feb. 23, 11 a.m. 2295 Victoria Ave., Room 110.
- Tampa: Feb. 24, 11:30 a.m. 9393 N. Florida Ave.
- Miami: Feb 24, 12 p.m. Annual Black History Luncheon, "Showtime at the Apollo." Caleb Center,
5400 NW 22nd Avenue #306.
- West Palm Beach: Feb. 24, 12:00 p.m. 15th Annual American Black History Multicultural Celebration, 111 S. Sopadilla Ave.
- Port Richey: Feb. 27, 11:30 a.m. 9550 U.S. Highway 19 N. Suite 201A.
- St. Petersburg: Feb. 28, 11:30 a.m. 525 Mirror Lake Drive N.
- Fort Lauderdale: Feb. 29, 10 a.m. Black History Celebration and Luncheon, "Black Women in American Culture and History.” 201 W. Broward Blvd., Room 104B.