Department of Children and Families
David E. Wilkins
July 10, 2012
DCF Press Secretary, (850) 459-2063
The Department of Children and Families and our community partners have successfully reduced the number of children waiting for their own forever family. With a wide array of efforts, we are reinforcing our commitment to helping the 8,000 children in foster care with a number of efforts to support them and give them the education and preparation that every child deserves so they can succeed as adults.
WHO: Department of Children and Families Secretary David Wilkins, Big Bend Community Based Care CEO Mike Watkins, foster families
WHAT: This new foster care initiative will be focused on five key points:
- Awareness Campaign - Fostering changes lives and helps children become successful adults
- A Family for Every Child - Recruitment and retention of foster parents
- Quality Parenting Initiative - Training and support for foster parents
- Letting Kids in Foster Care be Kids - Extracurricular activities, social media, time with friends
- Promising Futures - Attending school, graduating and pursuing further education
WHEN: July 12, 10:30 a.m.
WHERE: Florida Press Center, 336 East College Ave., Tallahassee