Children, Youth and Families
Having Trouble Deciding?
Here are some questions to consider when deciding whether to adopt a child:
- Why do I want to adopt a child?
- Can I provide a stable home for a child?
- Am I ready to open my heart to another's needs?
- Is this child just a substitute for a lost child or a person in his/her own right?
- Am I willing to go through all the paperwork and various other requirements to have a child?
- How will I handle friends' and family's questions and comments about adoption?
- Can I love this child as my own?
- How will I deal with my child's questions about birth parents?
- When will I tell my child about adoption?
- Can I afford to take another person into my family?
Traits of Successful Adoption Families:
- A sense of humor
- A true acceptance of the child's differences
- The ability to measure success in small steps
- A firm belief in committment