Family Development - A Caregiver's Guide
Positive Parenting Tips that Promote Good Behavior during the Teen Years
- It is important that parents are aware of and sensitive to all of the developmental changes that are taking place.
- Parents should monitor the actions and behaviors of their teenager.
- It is key that parents are aware/supportive of their teenager’s need to be independent and allow the teen to make small decisions.
- Parents need to be consistent with consequences that they set for their teenager.
- Parents should ensure their teenager gets physicals and visits the dentist to prevent any health problems.
- Parents should also be aware of the risk-taking behavior that teenagers might engage in and make sure that they have open communication with them about the dangers of risky behavior.
- Teens will get upset and yell—it is important that parents don’t take it personally.